Floyd Mayweather Jr declines $65 million to face Manny Pacquiao
Unbeaten boxer Floyd Mayweather, Jr. was reported to have declined a new offer from a Singapore group to face pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao.
This was revealed by Top Rank Promotions owner Bob Arum who told boxing reporter Elie Seckbach
in a recent interview about the Singapore offer.
"I'm an optimist, and I always felt that they'd eventually fight. At this point, I really feel that they'd never fight. Recently, as recent as this week, legitimate people from Singapore offered Mayweather $65 million to fight Manny Pacquiao and turned he it down. Sixty-five million is obviously is a sum Manny Pacquiao would accept...Now what does that tell you?"
Arum told Sechbach in the later part of the interview, "One thing about Floyd: Floyd knows boxing, and Floyd knows style. That's why Floyd was always reticent about fighting a southpaw. And a southpaw like Manny Pacquiao, he doesn't want no part of, because even if he protects himself from his left, he's going to bang him with his right hand," Arum told Seckbach.
At the end of the interview Arum, in response to Seckbach comment on the 40-0 record of Mayweather, said, "Really his record is 41-1 because he already lost to Manny Pacquiao by ducking him the way he has."
Mayweather has not issued any statement in reaction to the statement made by Arum with regards to the Singapore offer.
Last month Mayweather was reported to be making a deal with Victor Ortiz
for a possible tune-up fight after more than a year of inactivity. This was, however, denied by Mayweather's camp, saying there were no ongoing negotiations with Ortiz.
Meanwhile, Pacquiao has been reaping successes with his commercial endorsements which include the new Hewlett-Packard commercial.
"Pacquiao's HP Veer 4G commercial was uploaded on YouTube by user "bhopisback" last Tuesday, and the video has since gotten over 36,000 views," ABS-CBN reports
Pacquiao has also done product endorsement for Nike and other commercial and institutional accounts.