Several lives were saved thanks to the quick action taken by a postal worker when she noticed a fire occurring in one of the homes on the street where she was making deliveries.
A USPS mail carrier had taken an extra route for overtime and ended up saving lives. According to WHEC, Barbara Langdon was working on Thursday morning and saw black smoke coming from one of the homes on Golden Road, in Chili, New York.
“I saw black smoke coming out of the chimney, it just didn’t seem right,” Langdon told WHAM 13. “Within seconds it just blew through the porch.”
Media reports indicated Langdon saw a 67-year-old woman hanging out of a window. She called for help and also rescued the woman.
“I pulled the curtains out of the window and put them on the ground and dragged her out through the window and then I took my coat off and wrapped her up in it because it was so cold,” said Langdon.
There were three other people in the house, the woman's 24-year-old daughter, and her children, a preschooler and an infant. Firefighters who arrived on the scene rescued the three individuals, all had suffered serious injuries. WHAM 13 reported three firefighters also suffered smoke inhalation related injuries.
Officials are still investigating how the fire started, and have only released that it began in the home's basement. They did say that a smoke detector and a carbon monoxide detector did not have working batteries installed. Chili Fire Chief Don Johnson told the media that working alarms could have alerted the family much sooner.
Chili Fire Chief Don Johnson said, “Chances are a fire this bad, smoldering for a while and with no smoke detectors to warn them, the CO and the smoke just over comes you. You just don't wake up from that."
A follow up report from WHEC said that the two women's injuries were 'serious', and the children's injuries were considered 'critical'. It is being reported all of the fire victims are in stabilized condition.