As the May 17 premiere of the 'Star Trek' sequel draws near, fans across North America can soon download an exclusive app & now enter a sweepstakes to attend the premiere of the film. 'STID' star, Alice Eve, offers instructions and news on the film.
Okay, Star Trek fans, here's a nice little perk to whet your appetite for Star Trek Into Darkness (which opens in theaters across North America on May 17, 2013).
Today, Paramount Pictures and Qualcomm Incorporated announced that Gimbal™ context awareness technologies will be used to deliver exclusive content and advanced real world game experiences for the Star Trek Into Darkness application based on the upcoming movie from J.J. Abrams. Cutting-edge technologies are being showcased in a never before-seen way and will enable users to automatically engage with a wealth of movie related materials by utilizing their real-life surroundings to auto-complete integrated missions by employing audio scan, geo-location recognition, and image recognition functionality powered by Qualcomm Vuforia. The Star Trek Into Darkness app will launch at the end of January. Qualcomm’s Chairman and CEO Dr. Paul E. Jacobs made the announcement today during his keynote address at the International CES show in Las Vegas.
During the second quarter of the big game, the app will allow users the ability to unlock the first of many surprises during the airing of the Star Trek Into Darkness TV-spot, making this one of the most unique and interactive apps ever created for a movie. As a bonus, users who register for the app will be automatically entered into a sweepstakes for the chance to win a VIP trip to the U.S. premiere. To be the first to get the app and enter the sweepstakes, visit www.StarTrekMovie.com/CES
“We are excited about collaborating with Paramount on this app as it further brings to life Qualcomm’s vision of the digital sixth sense, where devices intelligently interact with the world around you,” said Dr. Jacobs. “By leveraging the Gimbal platform, this app harnesses the power of the smartphone to bridge the digital and physical world, allowing the studio to market the film in the real world and simultaneously bring users into the film’s story and world.”
At the International Consumer Electronics Association (CES) convention, taking place in Las Vegas, Nevada, Star Trek Into Darkness cast member Alice Eve talked to a packed audience about the highly-anticipated sequel, and, along with Paul Jacobs, explained how to use the Star Trek Into Darkness app.
Paramount Pictures/Qualcomm Incorporated
Highlights of the Star Trek Into Darkness app include:
• An audio scan function that can be turned on to automatically recognize and reward users for watching Star Trek Into Darkness content on TV and other media.
• An image scan function that enables users to interact with images printed or viewable in the real world.
• A geofencing function for location-based experiences.
• New Star Trek Into Darkness content, such as videos, images and wallpapers delivered directly to users’ mobile devices.
• Exclusive opportunities and special offers only available to app users.
• One lucky sweepstakes winner* will be rewarded with the grand prize of attending the Star Trek Into Darkness U.S. premiere. *(No purchase necessary. Open to U.S. and Canadian (excl. Quebec) residents age 13 or older. Enter by January 11, 2013. For details and restrictions, see Official Rules at www.StarTrekMovie.com/CES.
Star Trek Into Darkness, the sequel to Star Trek, the cinematic rebooting of the successful film franchise, is written by Roberto Orci & Alex Kurtzman & Damon Lindelof and directed by J.J. Abrams. Abrams is producing with Bryan Burk through Bad Robot Productions, along with Lindelof, Kurtzman and Orci. Jeffrey Chernov and Skydance Productions’ David Ellison, Dana Goldberg and Paul Schwake are the executive producers
For more info on Star Trek Into Darkness, visit the official movie site at www.startrekmovie.com
Live long and prosper!