A 14-year-old girl's family is suing the maker of Monster Energy, alleging that caffeine in the beverages led to her death, as stated in court records.
According to SMH, lawyers said that the two cans of Monster Energy that were consumed by Anais Forunier contained too much caffeine - 480 milligrams - which is equal to about 14 cans of Coca-Cola. She suffered a fatal cardiac arrest around 24 hours after consuming the contents of the cans.
According to Baltimore Sun, the parents, Wendy Crossland and Richard Fournier, filed the complaint on Friday, in Riverside County, California.
According to Daily Telegraph, in the United States, soft drinks cannot contain more than 71.5 milligrams of caffeine per 12 ounces. However, the limit does not apply to energy drinks because they are considered dietary supplements.
Crossland said that the energy drinks are death traps for young girls and boys who are developing. She went onto say that she wants Monster Energy to know that their product has the potential to kill people.
Monster released a statement and they said that they were unaware of any deaths caused by any of their eight billion energy drinks that they have sold worldwide.
The company went onto say that they believe that their drinks were not responsible for Fournier's death. They also said that they plan of vigorously defending themselves in court.