Prosecutors announced they have taken George Zimmerman into custody and charged him with second-degree murder for the death of Trayvon Martin, 17.
"We did not come to this decision lightly," Angela Corey, the special prosecutor appointed by Florida Gov. Rick Scott to re-examine the case, said at a news conference in Jacksonville, Fla., MSNBC writes.
Sanford Police are securing the area where George Zimmerman would be brought in if he is indeed charged, setting up barricades in the booking area at the county jail.
Yesterday the legal team that was representing Zimmerman quit after losing contact with him reports ABC News. At this time it is unclear where George Zimmerman is as public reaction to the case has put the man in danger.
Under Florida law, MSNBC adds, Zimmerman, 28, "must be taken before a judge within 24 hours of his return to Seminole County, where he has acknowledged he shot and killed Martin, 17, in the town of Sanford on Feb. 26."
On his personal website Zimmerman wrote last week:
"As a result of the incident and subsequent media coverage, I have been forced to leave my home, my school, my employer, my family and ultimately my entire life."
The Trayvon Martin case has drawn global attention to the small Florida town. On Febraury 26 the youth was shot and killed by a member of the local neighbourhood watch, George Zimmerman.
Zimmerman followed the youth when he was walking back to his father's home after buying snacks. Zimmerman called the police to report a suspicious person in the neighbourhood. During the 9-1-1 call Zimmerman had been told to stop following the youth. Zimmerman ignored the request and during a confrontation with Martin shot the young man claiming self defense.
Police at the scene did not arrest Zimmerman for the shooting citing the state's "Stand Your Ground" law.