A previously-unknown group has kidnapped McDonald's iconic fast-food clown mascot, Ronald McDonald, and have threatened to kill him Friday if their demands are not met.
A group, calling itself the Food Liberation Army (FLA), snatched a figure of Ronald McDonald from a McDonald’s restaurant in Ruoholahti, an area in the west of Helsinki, last Monday, according to an article in the Helsingin Sanomat.
The group has released two YouTube videos, ones depicting the abduction itself, the other shows the “prisoner” in a mock terrorist setting. Ronald is hooded, with a hooded FLA member stating their grievances. Four other hooded members are standing in the background.
In its video, the group says it “Loves French fries and hamburgers, and McDonald’s” but that the food has been destroyed by “greed and disinterest."
The statement goes on to pose several questions, including:
• Why isn’t the food-manufacturing process more open?
• How many tons of unrecycled trash are produced each year?
• Do they hire illegal aliens?
• Why not accept responsibility for the consequences of the fast-food culture?
• Why not use ethically-produced meat?
• Is maximizing profits your only responsibility?
• Why aren’t you using your power and influence to make a better world?
While the questions the group poses can be construed as serious and thought-provoking, neither McDonald’s nor the police seem to be especially interested.
“We have more serious crimes to deal with,” said Jouni Niskanen, a Helsinki police official.
McDonald’s spokeswoman in Finland, Heli Ryhänen, referred questions to the corporations social responsibility webpage, and suggested that kidnapping the statue “had gone a bit too far.”
The company news page does not mention the incident, nor does the social responsibility page directly answer the group's questions.
Here are the video of the group snatching Ronald McDonald: