North Korea announced this week that they are vowing a nuclear strike against South Korea and the United States as they fear both nations are planning a regime change.
On Friday, the North Korean military accused the United States and South Korea of conspiring to topple the Pyongyang regime and threatened to launch nuclear attacks if they attempt to do so, according to Press TV.
The military General Staff said that a recent South Korean news report showed evidence of both the U.S. and South Korean planning for regime change, “Those who seek to bring down the system in the DPRK (North Korea) will fall victim to the unprecedented nuclear strikes of the invincible army,” said a General Staff spokesperson.
A news report on Mar. 19 suggested that representatives from the U.S. Pacific Command, Chinese and South Korean state defence think-tanks were planning to meet in China in April to discuss how to control nuclear weapons that North Korea has in case of a regime change, notes AFP. However, the reports have not been verified.
EcPulse reports that this is not the first time North Korea has made such threats and criticisms. Earlier this month, the North criticized the South for joining military war games with the U.S., while accusing the war games of being a drill to invade the North.
Western countries and the United Nations believe North Korea possesses enough plutonium weapons for at least 12 atomic bombs, which has prompted the UN to apply tough sanctions.